Summary of Year III History Content: Following
Freedom’s Path, 1788-1836
- Examine the American Cincinnatus, George Washington,
and the first American government. Note: this topic may be covered in Year II instead.
- Discuss the first divisions in the first Congress:
Federalists vs. Republicans and Hamilton vs. Jefferson.
- Explore the following topics: Jefferson’s
election, the Louisiana Purchase, and the moment when the revolutionary
generation turns on itself, as personified by the Hamilton/Burr
duel. Also, secession, New England style: the Hartford Convention
in 1812, and continuing military confrontations with the British
- Discuss The Treaty of Ghent and the Monroe
- Discuss Andrew Jackson and his many roles:
victor of New Orleans, frontier congressman, slave owner and scourge
of Native Americans, and lastly, President.
- Discuss the Trail of Tears.